Saturday, December 1, 2007

Gilded Dried Pomegranates

This is another fairly easy and quick ornament to make. I just wish the pomegranates weren't so expensive! The best deal that I found was at the San Francisco Herb Company - one dozen medium size, dried and dyed red, for $8.80.

I thought about leaving these unpainted but the red dye comes off pretty easily - so I would have had to use some type of spray sealer anyway.

Materials:

12 medium size dried pomegrantes
Electric drill with small bit
Brass screw eyes
Glue gun and glue sticks
24 kt gold spray paint
Dropcloth or shallow box

Instructions:

1. Place a pomegranate on a stable surface and lightly drill a small hole in the side opposite the "blossom" or stem. This is to hold the brass screw eye - so don't select a bit that is bigger than the screw eye.

2. Attach the screw eye. Use a glue gun of the hole is too big or the screw eye wobbles.

3. On a drop cloth or in a shallow box, apply a coat of 24kt gold spray paint. Wait 10 minutes and turn the pomegrantes. Apply more coats of spray until entire surface is covered

Storage: if you drill too big a hole you will notice that the pomegrantes are black and fuzzy inside - not pretty. That is why I seal the opening with hot glue if the hole is too big. If not, these might get infested with bugs especially depending on your summer climate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site and ideas. Your tree looks magnificent. My daughter referred me to your site as I am also a crafter. I have 2 trees loaded with pomagranets. I may use your ideas. You may want to check out my daughters site at www.thefamilycurator.com Keep up the creative ideas.